Sonic R is a racing game released for the Sega Saturn developed by Sonic Team and Traveller's Tales. It was later re-released as a PC games, and ported to the GameCube for Sonic Gems Collection.
Sonic and Tails are vacationing when Tails spots a sign advertising the World Grand Prix, which he suggests Sonic and he enter to test their skills. At first, Sonic is against the idea, finding races boring due to his super speed, but then realizes that Dr. Robotnik entered the race, with the Chaos Emeralds being scattered about the tracks. The two enter the race in order to stop him from gaining the Chaos Emeralds which he could use for his evil purposes.
Knuckles hears that Sonic entered the race, and joins as well to try and beat Sonic in a race. Amy Rose has been secretly following Sonic on his vacation and joins with the hopes of impressing Sonic.
Dr. Robotnik is actually the one who orchestrated the entire race, with hopes of distracting Sonic while he collects the Chaos Emeralds. He constructed several robotic counterparts for use in this race in order to distract Sonic and his allies during the race.
The gameplay is relatively straightforward. Each character races on foot, save for Amy and Robotnik, around the tracks to make it to the finish line three times. Throughout the stages, there are rings which can be collected in order to unlock doors. These doors either allow you to obtain special items or have shortcuts in the race. Throughout the tracks, one can also collect Chaos Emeralds that seemingly serve no purpose until the very end, where they are used to unlock Super Sonic. In order to unlock most characters, one needs to collect five Sonic Tokens, come in at least third, and beat the character in a race.
- Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic is the fastest default character, with high top speed, quick acceleration and A Double Jump but has poor handling.
- Miles "Tails" Prower - Tails can fly for a short period of time, and has quick acceleration, but bad turning.
- Knuckles the Echidna - Knuckles has relatively even speed, acceleration, and handling, and can glide for an unlimited amount of time.
- Amy Rose - Amy is the slowest character in the game, but has the best handling. She drives a car that can float over water, and for a cost of ten rings, can speed up.
- Metal Sonic - Faster than Sonic, with high top speed and quick acceleration, but has poor handling, a bit better than Sonic's though and unlike Sonic, doesn't have a double jump. Unlocked on Resort Island.
- Tails Doll - Slower than Tails and bad handling, but can float over water. Unlocked on Radical City.
- Metal Knuckles - Faster than Knuckles, but otherwise the same, and can glide same as Knuckles. Unlocked on Reactive Factory
- EggRobo - Slow, but has relatively good handling. Can Shoot Projectiles at the Cost of Ten Rings. Unlocked on Regal Ruin.
- Dr. Robotnik - Very slow, but can float over water and shoots pillows at the cost of ten rings. Unlocked by Coming 1st on Radiant Emereld
- Super Sonic - Fastest character in the game and all-around in every other respect.Also has a Double Jump like Sonic. Unlocked by collecting the seven Chaos Emeralds.
Each unique track in the game is original to the game, but are inspired by stages on previous Sonic games.
- Resort Island - A beachy beginner stage.
- Radical City - A confusing large, pinball-themed city perfect for intermediates.
- Regal Ruin - The ancient ruins of some sort of extinct civilization, an intermediate stage.
- Reactive Factory - The factory where the robotic counterparts to each character was created, a difficult stage.
- Radiant Emerald - A relatively easy stage that seems to be inside of a Chaos Emerald.
The music for this game was written by TJ Davis and composed by Richard Jacques. Each song was written with a two-fold purpose, to be relevant to what was going on in the stage the song was assigned to and to be equally as relevant to people who have never played the game. The songs are relatively upbeat and catchy tunes. One could disable the lyrics for the songs in the settings slide.
Tails Doll Curse
The game is thought to be cursed by the Tails Doll. It was released on Halloween and contains the spirit of the Tails Doll. People can summon it using the Tails Doll Curse, but can attract him by simply completing the game 100%. One can summon the Tails Doll by playing Tag Four Characters mode as Tails Doll, and tagging Super Sonic as the last character. This empowers Tails Doll to enter into this world and haunt you.
- Mario Kart 64 was originally titled Super Mario Kart R, but was changed as a result of this game.